Friday, April 19, 2013

I-5 Southbound 38th St. Closure

Below is a notice from our neighbors in Tacoma about an exit ramp closure that could impact driving for Fife residents.

The following is a message from Pierce County Alert:

On Saturday, April 20, crews will close the southbound I-5 exit to South 38th Street in Tacoma (Exit #132A). The ramp will remain closed for three months through July. During the closure, crews will demolish the existing ramp and build approaches for a new ramp.

A signed detour will direct motorists further south to the I-5 exit to South 56th Street (Exit #130), back onto northbound I-5, and to the northbound I-5 exit to South 38th Street. The signed detour is designed to guide drivers who know no other routes. If you are familiar with the area, you may want to use alternate routes, avoid traveling on southbound I-5 during afternoon weekday commute hours (3-6 p.m.) if possible, and planning extra time for your trips.

With the exception of a few hours for restriping, the southbound I-5 exit to westbound SR 16 (Exit #132B) will remain open during this construction phase.

For information on traffic impacts in Tacoma visit: www.tacomatraffic.com